KHARTOUM (Reuters) – About 36 people were killed and 32 wounded in clashes in Sudan’s state of South Darfur, state news agency SUNA reported on Sunday.
The violence occurred between members of the Fellata and Taisha groups in the area of Um Dafuq, SUNA reported. A resident said the fighting happened on Saturday in a land dispute.
Security has worsened in recent months in Darfur despite a peace deal signed between Sudan’s transitional authorities and some rebel groups late last year.
A joint United Nations-African Union peacekeeping force stopped patrolling on Jan. 1 ahead of its withdrawal, with Sudanese national forces pledging to secure Darfur in its place.
A conflict that intensified across Darfur from 2003 mostly subsided, but some 1.5 million people remain displaced and outbreaks of violence have become more common since last year.
(Reporting by Khalid Abdelaziz and Nayera Abdallah; Writing by Aidan Lewis; editing by Grant McCool)
- Construction of 10 Bil Birr Worth Irrigation Dam Launched in OromiaThe construction of Anger Irrigation Dam with a cost of 10 billion Birr was launched on […]
- Looted Maqdala objects-pulled from rural English auction at the last minute-will be returned to EthiopiaThe three horn beakers, with silver mounts added later in England, are inscribed “Magdala” and “taken […]
- የመቐለ ዞን ማረሚያ ቤት በቀጣይ ሳምንት ስራ ይጀምራልየመቐለ ዞን ማረሚያ ቤትን በቀጣይ ሳምንት ስራ ለማስጀመር የሚያስችሉ ዝግጅቶች እየተጠናቀቁ ነው። ማረሚያ ቤቱ በህግ ማስከበሩ […]
- የአረብ ሊግ በግብፆች ሲዋረድ ! “ኢትዮጵያን የሚባሉ ህዝቦች ምን አይነት ናቸው…” የግብጾች ንትርክኢትዮጵያን የሚባሉ ህዝቦች ምን አይነት ህዝቦችና መሪዎች ናቸው ? አሜሪካ፣ አውሮፓ ህብረት ተመድ አረብ ሊግን እንዲህ […]
- “ሱዳን በትርምስ ቋፍ ላይ ናት”አብደላ ሀምዶክሱዳን ወደ እርስ በእርስ ጦርነት የመግባት አደጋ ጫፍ ላይ እንደምትገኝ ጠቅላይ ሚኒስትሯ አብደላ ሀምዶክ ቢቢሲ አፍሪካ […]