Over 1.9 billion Birr has been secured from various income generating schemes for the construction of the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam (GERD) during the past 11 months of the current fiscal year, Office of National Council for the Coordination of Public Participation on the Construction of GERD disclosed.
Office Public Relations Head Hailu Abraham told The Ethiopian Herald that the performance has surpassed the target by over 400 million Birr. The office has managed to collect a maximum one billion Birr in previous years and the 1.9 billion Birr contribution is unprecedented in this regard.
Noting the Office has planned to raise two billion for GERD in the current year, Hailu said that the public has demonstrated overwhelming participation in financing the construction of the mega dam.
“During the past 10 years we have managed to collect 15.6 billion Birr from the public to the GERD,” he stated, adding that the office plans to develop a national network that will provide timely information about the dam for Ethiopians residing in home and abroad.
As to the head, preparation has been finalized to launch the GERD network that would have multiple importance in mobilizing funds for the mega dam thereby supporting Ethiopia’s vision to prosper.
The network would bring individual and societal knowledge to support the national efforts to ensure the development and utilization of natural resources, it was learned.
The Ethiopian Herald July 4/2021
BY MULATU BELACHEW
- Statement of the Government of Ethiopia on the Current Situation in the SudanThe Government of Ethiopia is closely following developments in the Sudan. This particularly emanates from the strong brotherly ties that have existed between the peoples of the two countries for centuries.It will be recalled that the Ethiopian Government has played a significant role in successfully mediating the establishment of a
- The UN Will Even Let TPLF Assault and Detain Their WorkersNevertheless, a second, independent source confirms it was common knowledge among UN staff that an Ethiopian worker for UNICEF was mistreated and interrogated for hours by the TPLF. By – Jeff Pearce || The UN Will Even Let TPLF Assault and Detain Their Workers “If something comes, no one will
- TPLF Starving Tigrayans by Rejecting Ceasefire, Blocking Humanitarian Aid and Stealing Farmers’ FoodOPINION By Kungu Al-mahadi Adam For selfish interests, the TPLF terrorists, have decided to deliberately starve millions of Ethiopians living in … TPLF Starving Tigrayans by Rejecting Ceasefire, Blocking Humanitarian Aid and Stealing Farmers’ Food For selfish interests, the TPLF terrorists, have decided to deliberately starve millions of Ethiopians living
- “… army troops had yet to reach Tigray as of Monday morning…” Getachew RedaImage – Soldiers of Tigray Defence Force (TDF) in Mekele, Tigray region, Ethiopia. Photographer: Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP/Getty Images The Ethiopian Army launches offensive on all fronts – rebels the government had a responsibility to protect its citizens across the country from acts of terrorism but gave no further details. spokeswoman Billene Seyoum
- U.N. official recalled from Ethiopia over audio recordings – letterImage – Antonio Vitorino, Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) In the recordings, the two women say – without citing evidence – that World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is among the U.N. officials who sympathise with Tigrayan forces. Tedros, who is Tigrayan, Reuters II 12.10.21