UN – Guterres Welcomes Prime Minister’s Assurance on Access to Ethiopia’s Tigray Region.Reiterates Call for Protection of Civilians
The following statement was issued today by the Spokesman for UN Secretary-General António Guterres:
The Secretary-General and Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed spoke yesterday to discuss the extremely concerning humanitarian situation in the Tigray region of Ethiopia.
The Secretary-General welcomed the Prime Minister’s assurances that the Government of Ethiopia will facilitate immediate access to Tigray for humanitarian organizations, as well as the Prime Minister’s commitment that essential basic services, including power and communications, will resume swiftly.
The Secretary-General also acknowledged the Government’s pledge to use the ceasefire to facilitate urgent humanitarian assistance, including regular United Nations humanitarian flights into Tigray, as well as support for agricultural activities.
The Secretary-General reiterates his call that all parties must meet their obligations to protect civilians, provide unimpeded humanitarian access and to observe international humanitarian law.
- Statement of the Government of Ethiopia on the Current Situation in the SudanThe Government of Ethiopia is closely following developments in the Sudan. This particularly emanates from the strong brotherly ties that have existed between the peoples of the two countries for centuries.It will be recalled that the Ethiopian Government has played a significant role in successfully mediating the establishment of a
- The UN Will Even Let TPLF Assault and Detain Their WorkersNevertheless, a second, independent source confirms it was common knowledge among UN staff that an Ethiopian worker for UNICEF was mistreated and interrogated for hours by the TPLF. By – Jeff Pearce || The UN Will Even Let TPLF Assault and Detain Their Workers “If something comes, no one will
- TPLF Starving Tigrayans by Rejecting Ceasefire, Blocking Humanitarian Aid and Stealing Farmers’ FoodOPINION By Kungu Al-mahadi Adam For selfish interests, the TPLF terrorists, have decided to deliberately starve millions of Ethiopians living in … TPLF Starving Tigrayans by Rejecting Ceasefire, Blocking Humanitarian Aid and Stealing Farmers’ Food For selfish interests, the TPLF terrorists, have decided to deliberately starve millions of Ethiopians living
- “… army troops had yet to reach Tigray as of Monday morning…” Getachew RedaImage – Soldiers of Tigray Defence Force (TDF) in Mekele, Tigray region, Ethiopia. Photographer: Yasuyoshi Chiba/AFP/Getty Images The Ethiopian Army launches offensive on all fronts – rebels the government had a responsibility to protect its citizens across the country from acts of terrorism but gave no further details. spokeswoman Billene Seyoum
- U.N. official recalled from Ethiopia over audio recordings – letterImage – Antonio Vitorino, Director General of the International Organization for Migration (IOM) In the recordings, the two women say – without citing evidence – that World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus is among the U.N. officials who sympathise with Tigrayan forces. Tedros, who is Tigrayan, Reuters II 12.10.21