The pressure of Western countries on Ethiopia clearly signifies that they want a weak government and nation, scholars noted.
Although those countries, including the US, raise issues about the Grand Ethiopian Renaissance Dam and the law enforcement operation in Tigray their real intention is to establish a puppet leadership in Ethiopia, the two scholars stated.
After the reformist group came to power over the past three years, a range of reforms has been taking place in the political, juridical, economic, and social sectors, creating great hope among Ethiopians in ushering unity and harmony, among others.
Addis Ababa University lecturer, Dr. Yonas Zewde said the new leadership created as a result of popular civil disobedience and which pursued a dynamic narrative has unfortunately seemed to have caused discomfort among others.
“Despite the hard fact that Ethiopia has been striving for inclusive change, there are countries which stand and plot against its development trajectory, and their intention is to stop the country from being prosperous and isolating it,” he underscored.
The lecturer further reasoned out why those countries are trying to impose their will on Ethiopia: “The current leadership has stated its firm stand to cooperate for mutual benefit but not allow unnecessary interference in its domestic affairs.”
So the current meddling and pressure emanate from the wish of the Western countries to see a weak government and nation, he stressed.
According to him, the international media has also been feeding the western powers with misconceptions and biases about the reality in Tigray and this has resulted in threatening the leadership and Ethiopia at large.
This has led to the unexpected and historically and diplomatically wrong decision by the US Senate to put sanctions on Ethiopia and indirectly on the security and safety of the Horn of Africa and the US interest in the region, Dr. Yonas elaborated.
“This could be a kind of imposing their will and visions on us. But our government is saying ‘no, you can’t impose anything on us and you can’t tell us what to do or not to do’ because these have proven that they don’t want to see a strong Ethiopia.”
Noting that the pressure is nevertheless building up against Ethiopia, Dr. Yonas urged the Ethiopians to come together and steadfastly stand to prove the patriotic spirit they have inherited from their forefathers.
Kotebe Metropolitan University President, Dr. Berhanemeskel Tena said on his part western countries do not understand the reality on the ground in Ethiopia.
He pointed out that the statements they issue at different times take the issue in Tigray as a pretext to bring Ethiopia, which is becoming a model of strength in the Horn of Africa, to its knees.
“The U.S and other countries fully sided the terrorists from the beginning and took such a position without understanding the reality on the ground and ignoring the sovereignty of Ethiopia, but to meet their interest only.”
Furthermore, he said they believe that they can do whatever they like in Africa.
Recalling the recent statement of Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken asking for “affirmation” that neither the internal nor external borders of Ethiopia will be changed by force, the president denounced the assertions as a blatant contravention of the constitution.
“If the western countries had been rational and balanced, they would have condemned Sudan for violating Ethiopia’s sovereignty rather than Ethiopia’s internal administrative boundaries,” he underscored.
Dr. Berhanemeskel finally urged all Ethiopians to play an active role in consolidating their unity and harmony to fight external pressures, according to ENA.
- ‘We Will Not Go Away’: Twitter Suspends Ethiopian, Eritrean Accounts After Global #NoMore ProtestsOn Monday, Twitter disabled the accounts of at least a dozen Ethiopians and Eritreans and their related groups without justification. The accounts […]
- University of Gondar Revokes Dr. Eleni Gebremahin’s Honorary DoctoratesOn July 6, 2013 Dr. Eleni received an Honorary Doctorate from the University of Gondar, a first in its 59 year history. […]
- PM Abiy Calls upon All TPLF Parties to SurrenderPrime Minister Abiy Ahmed (PhD.) has called upon all parties of terrorist TPLF to surrender peacefully. The Prime Minister who is on […]
- “ENDF and The Afar fighters advancing towards Bati and Kombolcha” the correspondent said.Dead bodies seen ‘everywhere on the streets’ of town in Afar region as Al Jazeera gains exclusive access to front line of […]
- U.S. entertains dangerous scenario in Ethiopia: Political activistMoscow-based American political analyst said that the U.S. would like to repeat the Afghan scenario in Ethiopia through evacuating its citizens and […]