The military leaders who seized power and dissolved Guinea’s National Assembly say they will set up a transitional government, Voice of America reports. The details of the promised transition were not immediately clear, but they followed widespread condemnation of the coup from the international community. In a speech the day after his men declared on national television that they had arrested the president and dissolved the country’s constitution, Army Colonel Mamady Doumbouya promised a “government of national union”.
The whereabouts of President Alpha Conde were not immediately clear. Pictures of him, wearing a wrinkled shirt and jeans and sitting on a couch surrounded by soldiers, were being shared on several news outlets.
In October, the president won a third term in office after amending the constitution to allow him to run for a third term. The controversial election sparked violent protests throughout the country.
- Guinea: Junta Leader Promises ‘Government of National Union’VOA, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021The military leaders who seized power and dissolved Guinea’s National Assembly said Monday they would set up a transitional government. Read more »
- Guinea: Future Uncertain As Coup Leaders Tighten Grip On PowerDW, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021The soldiers who ousted Guinean President Alpha Conde have moved quickly to quash any resistance. Guineans have mixed feelings about the coup, while analysts say Conde is partly to… Read more »
- Guinea: Alpha Conde’s Fall Was Expected, Just Not This SuddenlyEAST AFRICAN, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021After a long wait following intense gunfire in parts of Guinea’s capital Conakry on Sunday, Guineans saw what many had been waiting for. Read more »
- Guinea: Political Analysts Weigh in On CoupVOA, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021A Guinean army unit seized control of the country Sunday and announced it had deposed President Alpha Conde. The soldiers expressed frustration over widespread poverty and… Read more »
- Guinea: Meet Col Mamady Doumbouya, Mastermind of Guinea CoupNATION, 5 SEPTEMBER 2021Col Mamady Doumbouya was born in the Kankan region of Guinea. Read more »
- Guinea: What We Know About Guinea Coup Leader Mamady Doumbouya, a Master of WarRFI, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021A sensational coup d’etat in the west African nation of Guinea was led by Lieutenant Colonel Mamady Doumbouya, head of the army’s Special Forces Group. So what do we know about the… Read more »
- South Africa: SA Expresses Concern Over Guinea CoupSANEWS.GOV.ZA, 6 SEPTEMBER 2021