African Union Commissioner for Agriculture, Rural Development, Blue Economy and Sustainable Environment, Ambassador Josefa L. Sako commended the ongoing Green Legacy Initiative of Ethiopia as a model for other African countries.
Ambassador Josefa L. Sako appreciated the Green Legacy Initiative as a decisive measure to mitigate impacts of climate change.
The Green Legacy Initiative, Ethiopia self-reliant program that the country is implementing without any financial support from outside, manifests the government’s commitment to fight climate change, she explained.
She also stated that the initiative is instrumental in tackling drought and other natural disasters like landslide and flooding, and in line with AU’s Great Green Wall program.
The Commissioner further called on member countries to utilize the upcoming African Climate Summit to be held in Nairobi, Kenya as a platform to echo their voices and forge a common stand against climate change.
- U.S Senator Robert Menendez, His Wife, and three businessmen charged with bribery offensesU.S. Attorney Damian Williams said: “As the grand jury charged, between 2018 and 2022, Senator Menendez and his wife engaged in a corrupt relationship with Wael Hana, Jose Uribe, and Fred Daibes – three New Jersey businessmen who collectively paid hundreds of thousands of dollars of bribes, including cash, gold, … Read more
- Veteran Diplomat Ketema Yifru Awarded Bego Sew Special AwardIt was indicated during the ceremony that Ketema had also served his country in various responsibilities in addition to his contributions to the establishment of the Organization of African Unity and pan-Africanism. (ENA):- Veteran Diplomat Ketema Yifru has been awarded the 2023 Bego Sew special Award for his outstanding contribution … Read more
- Why G20’s debt-relief strategy is failingThe Indian Prime Minister says a G20 strategy has driven global debt restructuring since his country assumed leadership. That’s not the full picture. By Biswajit Dhar – downtoearth.org.in Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi, who is about to host G20 leaders in New Delhi, has boasted about his country’s role in easing global … Read more
- G20 Summit: Good progress on easing debt in Zambia, Ethiopia & Ghana, says finance ministerIndia releases G20 New Delhi Leaders’ Declaration stating developing countries would need $5.8-5.9 trillion up to 2030 to implement Nationally Determined contributions By Rohini Krishnamurthy – downtoearth.org.in There has been good progress in helping address the debt situation in Zambia, Ethiopia and Ghana, Union Finance Minister (FM) Nirmala Sitharaman, said during a press … Read more
- Netanyahu wants immediate deportation of Eritreans after Tel Aviv violenceIsrael is considering tough steps including the immediate deportation of Eritrean asylum seekers involved in riots in Tel Aviv on Saturday. By Yolande Knell – BBC News, Jerusalem Some 170 people were injured in violent clashes with police and in-fighting between groups of supporters and opponents of the Eritrean regime. … Read more