The World Health Organization said on Friday that 413 people had been killed and 3,551 injured in Sudan since intense fighting broke out there six days ago.
“I do have those numbers and not surprisingly, they have increased,” said WHO spokeswoman, Margaret Harris during a United Nations briefing in Geneva.
UNICEF spokesman, James Elder raised concern regarding the situation of malnourished children, saying that “critical life-saving support for around 50,000 children is at risk” due to fighting.
A Sudan ceasfire
Earlier today a third attempt at a ceasefire failed to materialize, and military forces, as well as paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF), continued to strike each other’s positions.
Sudan’s paramilitary Rapid Support Forces (RSF) said it had agreed to a 72-hour truce on humanitarian grounds from 6 a.m. (0400 GMT) on Friday, to…see more
Gunfire ripped through several neighborhoods of Sudan’s capital Khartoum on the first day of the Muslim holiday of Eid al Fitr, after the army deployed on foot for the first time in its almost week-long fight with a paramilitary force.
Soldiers and gunmen from the RSF exchanged fire in residential areas of the north, west, and center of the city, including during the call for special early morning Eid prayers, witnesses said.
The unabated fighting has killed hundreds and undermined an effort by U.N. Secretary-General Antonio Guterres to broker a temporary truce over the three-day holiday and allow civilians to reach safety.
In the absence of a ceasefire, foreign nations including the United States have been unable to evacuate their citizens from Sudan.